Thursday, December 29, 2011

A FEW SHOTS

Beau and I went on a hunt this am with Steve, Bob, Scott and Marc in south western Wisconsin.  The dogs worked well and I got a bird with dads old 28 gauge.

The 11-48 hit the shelves in 1948 and was discontinued in 1968. It was available in 12, 16, 20, 28, and I think even .410 in 3".  I think the 11-48 was the first Remington to be assembled with the two pin system, which was later integrated into pretty much all of their repeater model shotguns. It really was an important design in Remington shotgun history.


  

Yesterday a few of us got together to ping some cans at louies lodge.  We started out with marty.s crossman pump bb gun.  with ten pumps it had enough pop to mark the targets and chip the tiles.


After a few rounds we got dads old  H & R sportsman double action revolver.  It's similar to the one we found in the attic crawl space of the old school house when we remodeled it.









A little history of the SPORTSMAN - first production in 1932 had a fixed/non-adjustable front sight - three different versions are known, and a windage adjustable rear sight. In 1933 an elevation adjustable front sight became the norm.


After shooting the handgun we popped off a few rounds with the Remington Model 12.

 





The Remington  Model 12 is a slide-action rifle.  This gun was introduced in 1909 and produced through 1936.  During the 37-year period, there were 820,759 guns sold.   The gun featured a hammerless action.
Louie and Pumpkin Michels built the little lodge for a hideout back when i had louie as a jr high student.  Along with the little stove which keeps the lodge toasty warm, other features I like about this hideout are the cool storage below the floor boards, the sleeping loft that folds down from storage near the ceiling and the round window to the south.

The lodge is always a welcome stop when we're sking at mart and joans but as you can see we won't be able to lay down any tracks until some time after the first of the year.  I miss the snow.













Well, I know now what I'm going to be purchasing with my Menards gift certificate.  



I wanted to check the removal of  that old leaning mulberry off my list before the end of the year.  So, I got our old woody extension ladder out to top it.  I climbed out onto the tree to saw off a few of the upper branches after shutting down the saw I stepped back on to the ladder  and down I came like a sack of taters.  I was quickly comforted by the two dogs and recovered from the fifteen foot fall. It could have been much worse but sometimes you get lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment