Sunday, March 8, 2015

TOUGH SLEDDING.


 With the temperatures finely creeping above 30* Friday morning.  I started down toward the sugar bush with a loaded sled.  I made it less then ten yards before the top heavy sled of gear tipped over.  Upright and back on the trail.  The trip was slow and steady as I walked backward pulling and stabilizing the rig.
 Plenty of snow down at the camp.  I love seeing how the timber comes to life as the warm Southern winds blow Northward and the sunlight penetrates to warm the soil.
 Time to start tapping trees.  It's a simple and slow process for me.  Using my Grandfather, John Becker's old hand cranked drill gives me a connection to him and the past.  Sure I could use an electric drill like most if not all guys in area do but I'm in no hurry and it's good exercise.  Doing curls.
 These early spring days I tend to put more taps on the Eastern side of the tree in the am and then as the day continues I'll drop a tap in on the West side.
 The dogs love it down in the timber this time of year.  They get plenty of attention and treats.
 I've got a few treats in the cooler too.
 Saturday morning I skied down to the Bush.  The run was fast and icy.  By the time I made the run back to the house the sun had started to melt some snow and made the conditions a little sticky.





 I thought it would be my last run of the year but mother nature had a surprise in store for me when I awoke to a beautiful light snow fall passing through.

















No comments:

Post a Comment