Sunday, November 9, 2014

WILD LIFE IS THERE IF YOU JUST LOOK

I get in trouble quite often for not paying attention when driving.

As I drive I'm constantly scanning the fields, hillsides and ditches for wildlife.

On my way home from school I worked my way home cross country from the top of the world to the Roly World camp and then on to The Big Mill Home Sted.


How many deer do you see?

 The Home Sted sits along Big Mill trout stream and was built circa 1845, this two story limestone farmstead was probably built as a dormitory for Paradise Farm owned by the Potter family.  The unique beauty of Northeast Iowa is very evident here with, upland timber, flood plain, wildlife, and panoramic scenery.















 Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) were reintroduced to the big mill homes pond in Jackson County over 20 years ago.  They are the largest native North American  waterfowl species.  They can weigh up to 35 pounds, stand four feet tall, and have an impressive seven-foot wingspan.  The male (Cob) is larger than the female (Pen).  First year swans (Cygnet) are gray in color and will retain some gray feathers into their second year.

Here's the family laying a base before they head south for the winter.

I just up graded to a new I phone so I'm hoping that the photography in my posts improves.



















Saturday night we finally went to the Potters Mill for some wildlife of our own.


 BBQ, drinks and Louisiana front porch blues.

Trifecta, we got all three right.


















The Harris Collection sported man buns and play some great blues guitars.


They were joined by a jam buddy of theirs,  Ziggy Mc Quay from, just down river in the Quad Cities.
















  Susie enjoyed her after dinner martini.





















While Ziggy laid it down on the harp.

Looking forward to catching his funk band some time in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment