Sunday, May 19, 2013

A FULL WEEKEND!



 I don't know how much more a person could pack into a weekend.  Along with coaching friday night,  mowing the yard and a few other projects crossed off of my home improvement list. 



I also managed to get out into the timber several times to find a few morels and these beautiful yellow oyster clusters.  All Oyster mushrooms grow on or from wood and are typically found fruiting on a tree trunk or branch of standing wood, on a stump or along a log on the ground, like these.  In Iowa, different species of Oysters can be found fruiting from late spring until early winter on a variety of tree species, both deciduous and conifers.  In milder climates, they fruit throughout the year.  For now we're just eating the morals but  the Yellow Oyster mushrooms are best suited as a soup and stir fry mushroom or braising mushroom.


Now that I've got my new fly rod, I''ve finely gotten the hang or fishing with one of Pete's little dry flies.  I love it and it's a blast catching these little browns.













All though when the wind picks up I switch over to a little mepps or rooster tail.  But it kind a feel a little like cheating.



Along with all this we went down to Iowa City for out son Beau's college
graduation.

 His mom and I are so proud of him!  The four years have flown by so quickly. 

After the Graduation Ceremony  friends and family gathered  at the Iron Hawk for a celebration!







 This evening after slicing up several pounds of morals for the dehydrator, I took the dogs down into the timber for a walk,  Just a few feet away from where Susie and I were earlier in the week I found this nine point buck that was probably gut shot last winter.


A pound of morals and a nice rack for the shed.  What a great way the end a full weekend.






































No comments:

Post a Comment