Monday, March 4, 2013

MARCH MEANS MAPLE


During a brief warmup in February I hiked down and pulled out the old stove or what was left of it.















 
  After a little shop time I converted an eight foot rusted out stock tank into a double walled four footer.



 I also did a lot of research on rocket stoves and banged out a small prototype for quick high heat.







  Started moving the supplies down into the sugar bush the other day.  The down hill run was easy with the snow and sled.  I must say, I felt a little like the Grinch flying down the mountain into Who ville.








Winter storms have dropped many branches from the elms and wild cherry and a few trees close to the Sugar camp.














I tapped a few trees just to get an idea of what kind of flow I've got.


Right now the drip rate is pretty slow.  Only around 12 to 16 drips per minute, DPM.  but the forecast for the upcoming week looks favorable, with good temperature fluctuations and a few blasts of snow mid week.






Parent teacher conferences on Wednesday and Thursday nights.  So, No School on Friday!  That's when I'll get my first batch rollin.  Followed by the start of Boys Soccer season on Monday.



Tonight's for cast is for 5 to 7  inches of snow.  I love the way the sugar bush looks after a fresh snow fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment