Sunday, March 9, 2014

CURLS.

 This morning I loaded up the runner sled with gear for the sugar bush.  This year I'm having to deal with some the deepest snow for the start of the maple syrup season in the past 15 years.


 The snow is over a foot deep with some spots drifted to more than twice that much and sled and gear stay right on top.
 Once down in the bush it was time to make some curls with the drill.  My Grandpa John Becker was a contractor in the Cascade area, building homes and barns.  So, I get a lot of satisfaction using his old drill to tap these trees.  I could use a power drill but it just doesn't seem right.




I drill a hole 2 to 2 ½ inches deep. Drill at a slight upward angle to facilitate downward flow of sap from the hole. The shavings from the drilled tap hole should be light brown, indicating healthy sapwood. If the shavings are dark brown, drill another hole in a different location.
 Clear any wood shavings from the edge of the hole. Insert the spile.  I always used copper tubing, then insert the spile into the tap hole. Gently tap the spile into the tree with a hammer . If the sap is flowing, you should immediately see sap dripping from the spile.
 




Ace and Maxine made themselves right at home down by the stove but it will be a few days while I collect some sap before I fire up the stoves.  A winter wind storm dropped a good size elm near by for a handy supply of fire wood,

No comments:

Post a Comment