Friday, March 9, 2012

CLIFF DIVING AND SNORKELING

One of Kaanapali Beach’s most famous attractions is the daily cliff diving ceremony off of the beach’s northernmost cliffs known as Puu Kekaa, or Black Rock. Held every evening at sunset, a cliff diver lights the torches along the cliff, diving off of Black Rock in a reenactment of a feat by Maui’s revered King Kahekili.
.
The water around Black Rock starts at about 8 feet deep and gradually gets to about 25 feet or more as you head around the point.  We snorkeled over sand but followed a underwater lava rock ledge.  The visibility is good even in the deeper parts around the point. 

Here’s some of the fish I’ve seen while snorkeling at Black Rock, but don't ask which fish is which: Butterfly fish, parrot fish, damsel fish, surgeon fish, moorish idol, tang, wrasse, box fish, cardinal fish, perch, chub, trigger fish, the former Hawaii State Fish Humuhumunukunukuapuaa, goat fish, snapper, porcupine fish, hawk fish, jacks, mackerel, cornet fish, needle fish, sea urchins  and other invertebrates.

  Update Saturday am.Susie and I got out for one more swim around Black Rock before we go back to reality.  Out on the point I finely saw Honu,  the green sea turtle.  I swam above him and realized I had gone out a ways beyond the end of the point.  It was a great end to my snorkeling adventures.

As I swam around the base of Black Rock a group of young guys climbed up the rock face to jump off.  One set his snorkeling gear on an edge and a large wave knock them in.  I recovered the snorkel and the mask went deep another guy got that for them.  I climbed to the top of the rock, about 20ft. above the water and a two local boys were sittin there laughing at the tourists.  The one looked at me and said; "Do a back flip, man".  So, I did. Then shot him a  "hang loose" when I came up.



No comments:

Post a Comment