Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Exploring The Little Maquoketa Mounds

I had a free morning to explore while Susie worked at the Convivium.
So, I hiked and looked for shed antlers.
The Indian mounds sit high, about 150' above the little maquoketa river atop a geologic feature created by glacial activities.
The old foundation of a early settlers home sit near the base of the mound

Stream Piracy

The 32 ancient burial mounds are overgrown with black raspberries .
The 8' high fence was down so I went inside for a better look.  No sheds.

    
So, I wanted to know just who built these mounds.  The graves are related to the Late Woodland Culture. About AD 700  to 1200 
An ancient oak
I also got in a bonus hike on the John Deere proving grounds.
This area has some great outcroppings and mountain bike trails

No comments:

Post a Comment