Sunday, January 31, 2016

Hunting for Sheds or Walking the Dog


 Maxine and I walked down to the valley Saturday am to get out and look for shed antlers.  I've seen one buck that had dropped a side an a buddy from fatman's bball already found his first shed down along little mill.








Here's what's left of this old stone foundation
 We hiked some pretty heavily used deer trails.






 I find it amazing that we ever find a shed when you stop to think of all the ground a Buck might travel in a day.
 Here's another foundation.

Twenty five years ago, when I was working on getting the rock supply for the gallery addition to the school house, I loaded out many loads of rock from an old foundation just up the hill from this foundation.  I can't believe I missed this cash of stones
 Little den under this rock out crop.
 Ok, we might be on the right trail... time to scan the hillside.
Upon closer inspection I recognized this skull.

I came across this one last year during mushroom season.  It's from the remains that some local tossed into the ravine after butchering his deer the previous deer hunting season. 

You can see where the rack was cut off, right behind the eyes with a saw before it was thrown out.


Oh well.  It'll make a good candle holder for down in the sugar bush.

No sheds...  But, a good walk for a good dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment