Thursday, September 26, 2013

WHAT YA CATCHIN?

 Sunny skies, light winds and highs in the mid-80s makes for a beautiful fall day.  So why wouldn't I stop along the trout stream to wet a line?

The limestone lined bluff the overhanging trees provide plenty of shade and obsticles to snag while trying to hook a trout along this unstocked streatch of North Eastern Iowa cool water stream.  But if I relied on catching fish to make outting enjoyable  I would hit a farm pond rather than this spot.
I truly enjoy exploring the natural history of this driftless region.

The limestone speckeled with loads of brachiopod fossils provides clues to the regions past.are among the most common fossils found in Iowa. Brachiopods lived inside the protective cover of two hinged shells, attached to the floor of warm, shallow seas that once covered the state about 375 million years ago when Iowa was covered by a warm shallow sea. 

 While walking through the pasture I check out the abundance of insects that swarm on these warm fall days.  My Advanced Biology students would be wise to get out while they can.  Their insect collection is due in just a few short weeks.
 I note the small minnows, frogs and crawdads as I wade through the stream.  I'm sad to say that those are my Keens in my hand casting the shadow not a stringer of fish.
 Plucking a sprig of mint along the stream to enjoy the smell and taste.

A trout on the line breaks the water as I fumble for my camera.  Fish on!  But not for long.  A few casts later another Trout strike and a miss.








Later on I manage to set the hook on .....  Well you tell me.
Fish Identification time.  it's not a trout.

No comments:

Post a Comment