Wednesday, October 26, 2011

NEW WATER



Last winter I talked to a friend of mine about fishing the small stream that meanders through his property in eastern Iowa.  My first thought were about, fishing this water in the spring.  So, I could ramble across the hillsides for morals.  
Northeast Iowa was originally termed the “Driftless Area” due to the lack of identified glacial deposits, but subsequent studies disproved this idea and the more appropriate term Paleozoic Plateau was introduced. The Paleozoic Plateau encompasses a larger area than the original Driftless Area to incorporate areas of similar geomorphology, topography, and ecology found in northeast Iowa.
The Paleozoic Plateau was glaciated multiple times during the Pre-Illinoian (2.2 million to 500,000 years ago), and is marked by the transition from a rugged, dissected, rock-controlled landscape to that of the gently rolling, lower relief landscape.  
As I walked along the stream I noticed many cold water springs feeding into the stream and my thoughts changed from smallies to the possibility of trout.  I was pitching a small repella in a lower ripple when the sound of a tractor upstream turned my attention.  At just that moment SPLASH and roll.  A big flash of sleek silver jumped high out of the water as i set the hook.  Another jump as my heart raced.  Wow,  this is a big fish.  Then as quickly as he struck the hook,  he was gone.
A few casts later and another missed strike and  finely a rainbow landed and returned back to the new fishing hole.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment