Friday, April 22, 2011

Odd Duck



On my drive out Big Mill Valley I saw a unusual looking white duck on the mill pond my first thought was that it was one of the swans that have been living in the area, but on closer inspection I realized that it was an albino hen mallard.

There aren't species distinguished solely by being albino as a condition of differentiation, but there is inherited albinism in species. It's a rare recessive set of alleles. In examples like albino lab rats or rabbits, it has been selectively breed for and controlled. In the wild, albinism is very rare, like 1:XX thousand.
 Most forms of albinism are the result of the biological inheritance of genetically recessive alleles (genes) passed from both parents of an individual, though some rare forms are inherited from only one parent. There are other genetic mutations which are proven to be associated with albinism.




After the  ornithology it was on to itchyology.
I caught several small brown trout in a matter of a half hour or so exploring along the stream

But, what really made Good Friday a good day was my venture into mycology.  I found three small morals early this morning out in the timber by that tree.  You know the one.  Not much but enough to win the bet.... I'll share.

No comments:

Post a Comment